Buellton - Recently incorporated, this crossroads ranching community is adding modern shopping convenience and is the home of world famous Pea Soup Andersen's original restaurant.
In 1867, Rufus T. Buell was struck with gold fever, and on his way to California to seek his fortune. He ended up in the Santa Ynez Valley, where he purchased 26,634 acres of land for his new ranch, San Carlos de Jonata, which means Saint Charles of the Wooded Area. The ranch was complete within itself, with a post office, a public store, and a blacksmith. It had many animals, including cows, sheep, hogs and horses. The residents of the ranch busied themselves with the dairying, farming, stock raising and cheese factory duties which had to be carried out to keep Buell's venture prosperous. As the result of a dry year, Buell lost 10,000 acres to a San Francisco bank, which sold them to the Santa Ynez Valley Land and Improvement Company , and this was the start of Buellton.
Recently, Buellton became a city. It is famous for Pea Soup Andersen's restaurant, which attracts visitors from all over the U.S. Unlike most of the Valley towns, Buellton is not a tourist attraction, and is basically dedicated to serving the public, with many motels, restaurants, and gas stations.
By Leah Etling